Friday, April 25, 2008

Introduction

To all movie enthusiasts out there:

My name is Thomas Miller and I am addicted to movies. (Hi, Thomas) I feel before you can take my opinion seriously, you should probably know a thing or two about me. I started watching movies when I was just a wee lad, but knee high on my Great Grand Pappy Miller. As a child, I learned to use the VCR before I could speak.

While skimming by my educational development, I made it a point to watch movies for more than just entertainment, but as almost a personal goal to watch as many movies as possible. In the year 2002, I made a New Years Resolution to watch a different movie every day and make a note of it on a Far Side calandar that I was given by my parents. There were rules, but the main rule was that I could not use the same movie twice in the year to count towards my "Movie of the Day" goal.

One year later, I graduated high school and took the road travelled by all undecided adolescent American males with no scholarships...I joined the United States Army. I moved away from my family in rural Wisconsin at the tender age of 17. I travelled the country before shipping off to support a "feel-good" war on terror where I was granted ample time to watch movies during guard shifts.

I returned only to deploy again on another save-face operation in New Orleans, where we sat around in a parking lot listening to the radio, smoking cigarettes. Without cable television, I found time to watch every movie I owned/rented/borrowed. I would, also, frequent the movie theater in town on an average of twice a week.

I began dating the woman who would become my wife, who didn't mind joining me at the theater, which worked out in my advantage. After moving to Fort Riley, Kansas my wife got a job at a movie rental store where she could rent movies for free and get movies before they came out. It was a beautiful thing. When she quit the job, I finally had to subscribe to HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax which helped me in my quest to see more movies, and it aided in the ability to remain in my pajamas while doing so.

I am now 22 years old, and I have since deployed, again, to everyone's favorite Middle Eastern conflict. Because of my horrible time management skills and failure to prioritize properly, I have 15 full months to do nothing but watch films. That means this is the place to be for those who want to save 8 dollars at the theater, OR 2 dollars at the video rental joint, OR an hour or so downloading illegally on the internet.

The following is a list of some of my all time favorite movies (in no particular order):
Goodfellas, Smokin' Aces, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, Death Sentence, Lucky Number Slevin, Fight Club, American Psycho, Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Die Hard With a Vengeance, Memento, The Departed, Snatch, The 25th Hour...

The following is a list of some of my all time LEAST favorite movies (in no particular order):
Excluding most sequels...A Walk to Remember, The Sandlot, Halloween (the original, not the Rob Zombie version, which to be honest is not too bad), Rudy, Radio, Pearl Harbor, 21, Stop-Loss...I hate movies that cop out at the ending, movies that are afraid to say what they want to say but are swayed by MPAA standards and the opinion of death threat-writers, sequels that try to recreate the original movie with new characters (Butterfly Effect 2, Van Wilder 2...), movies that curse too much or use the wrong curse word in place of another curse word (keep in mind, using The Departed as an example, the movie requires there be cursing because as the audience, I refuse to believe that a gangster isn't going to say the F word, and instead, say "Dad gum!").

I was finally pushed over the edge to make a blog when I watched "The Butterfly Effect 2." No one should have to watch a movie like that without some kind of prior warning. This blog will not be a "spoiler" or a "movie mom" in any way, but it will borderline both. This is going to be the basic outline for how a movie will be reviewed:

MOVIE NAME
GENRE
MPAA RATING
RATING**
TARGET AUDIENCE

BIASED RANTINGS BY THOMAS MILLER

THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT (1. 2. 3. ...)

LESSONS TO BE LEARNED (IF APPLICABLE)

CLASSIC LINES (IF APPLICABLE)

** My rating is based on the following
GOOD: A movie that compares to Goodfellas. It is respected by many.
FUN: A movie that compares to XXX. It is not respected, but provides a good time.
BAD: A movie that compares to Lock Up. It is not respected by anyone, nor is it a good time. Most sequels will fall under this category.

This set up will, no doubt, change over time. Until then, enjoy the ride.

No comments: